Community Center - Concert Hall
8395 Fletcher Bay Road, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
Island Center Hall
8395 Fletcher Bay Road NE
1700 Sq. Ft.
Maximum capacity: 150
This historic hall features hardwood floors, wainscoted walls, traditional ceiling-high windows, and built-in bench seating along each wall. There is a small corner stage with minimal stage lighting. There is a large pull-down projector screen on the front wall, and a piano is available by request. There is also a separate small kitchen space with an apartment sized refrigerator, an electric range, and sink. Electric outlets are minimal: one in the kitchen area, and one in the main hall by the stage. There are two ADA accessible restrooms, and a small “green room” behind the stage. Folding tables and chairs are available on-site. This facility is available to rent when Park District Classes are not in session.
To check rental availability:206-842-2302
For nearly 90 years, Island Center Hall has been a focal point of community activities ranging from dances and community social events, to elections and church services. The one thing it hasn’t been is a school. Island historian Katy Warner says, “Everyone thinks it was a school; it never was a school.” The old Island Center School was actually located on the adjacent property, relocated first to the High School, then to Strawberry Hill Park, and finally to Erikson Avenue where it is now the Historical Society Museum.
Property for Island Center Hall was donated by W.L. Gazzam and his wife Lulu in August of 1913 to the Island Center Improvement Club. In their donation, the Gazzam’s specified that the property had to be used as “a meeting place for the community of island center”, and “no spirituous liquors will be allowed”, nor could the property be used for “unlawful meetings or purposes”. The improvement club soon organized volunteers and got donations of materials and money to build the building.
Besides being used for a great variety of community events, Island Center Hall was the location of the Bainbridge Island Fair for a number of years. In December of 1971, the Hall was given to the Bainbridge Island Park District. At the time, Annie Hansen and Ralph Anderson, the last living members of the original Island Center Improvement Club agreed that the Hall should be preserved for the community by the Park District. Approval of the transfer was also given by Gazzam’s three surviving daughters.
Today Island Center Hall continues to serve its intended purpose. Concerts, lectures, weddings, community meetings as well as recreation classes are regular events. Its size and warm wood interior make Island Center Hall a special place and a community treasure.